MGMT Blog #2

 "Critics of teacher-centeredness argue  that  in  these  classrooms,  compliance  is  valued  over initiative and passive learners over active learners (Freiberg, 1999)."

While exploring this week's modules, I found myself revisiting this quote from Garrett's article again and again. How many classrooms have I seen or participated in where compliance was valued over initiative and passivity over active learning? What does initiative and active learning truly look like? After pondering these questions, I realized that I have not had the privilege of witnessing many student-centered classrooms. In fact, I can only think of a few off of the top of my head. I doubt most teachers intend to have a teacher-centered method of classroom management, rather I think it stems from an unspoken cycle of expectations and insecurity. Teachers are expected to manage their classrooms, therefore, they are reinforced when students passively follow instructions, despite putting invisible limitations on students' learning. Additionally, I think many teachers (myself included) feel insecure in allowing students to take the reigns. It can be undeniably messy and unhelpful at times. When a teacher takes full control of the class, the mess is reduced, but so is the initiative. Students learn that initiative can be considered disruption, therefore they must remain passive. 

Frontiers | Active Learning in Psychiatry Education: Current Practices and  Future Perspectives | Psychiatry

Long story short, I think it is super easy to fall into this cycle of classroom management without even noticing. While not out of poor intent, classrooms become stagnant and lifeless. We don't realize that active learning has died until we catch a glimpse of what students are truly capable of in an environment that allows them to flourish uniquely. Gus talks about the sweet spot being similar to a baseball bat on the continuum. I couldn't agree more! I am someone who sides towards teacher-centered learning naturally. I desire this kind of control of students because life feels less chaotic. My mentor teacher sides more towards the student-centered portion and I admire her seemingly endless patience, as it isn't always neat and tidy. I believe I would do best between collaborative and student-centered learning, despite the fact that it will definitely come as a challenge to me. 

Comments

  1. Great, post. Emily, I think it's great that you focused in on the Freiberg quote from the Garrett article about compliance over initiative. Did you notice how I referenced that in my article (reading 6) as well but claim that I want both compliance and initiative :) I want to have my cake and eat it too! Check out my argument there for how I claim it can be done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts