Skip to main content
MGMT Blog #3
 |
|
The classroom rules I have included below are a list of rules that I do not care for. First and foremost, I heavily disagree with the rule, "Use English in the classroom". Truthfully, I actually felt taken back that I was even able to find this "rule" listed for a classroom. While there may be some context I do not fully understand at play, I will never give my students the notion that I respect their native language. Encouraging or asking students to use English for academic purposes is different than telling students that they can only use English to express their feelings. Additionally, I feel like there are a lot of necessary rules that do not need to be explicitly explained. For example, bringing materials to class could be included in "following directions." I appreciate concise rules that can act as an umbrella for other rules. For example, keeping a classroom neat and tidy could fall under "Showing respect at all times". The question could be presented- Are we being respectful to our classmates and the custodian if we are not keeping our tables tidy? Are we showing respect for our materials if we are not putting them back where they belong?
On the other hand, I do appreciate the simplicity of the rules that are displayed here. While they may seem a little too oversimplified, I believe that they can umbrella many other behaviors. Is using your phone during class working hard? Well, that depends on the situation. Is calling people names being kind and making the class a happy place to be? Is rushing out to recess and pushing creating a safe environment? Essentially every behavior that we want students to avoid can be categorized under these three rules. I also love that they are worded positively, free of the words "do not" or "should not". Personally, I am also a big fan of words. I hope to have my future students choose a few words (3-5) to abide by for the sake of themselves and everyone else. An example of this set of words: Respect - Kindness - Safety - Bravery.
Emily, I also was very shocked that “use English in the classroom” was included in a classroom rule list. This is something that I would’ve never thought would even be considered as a rule for a classroom. Speaking another language should be encouraged not ridiculed, so I can’t imagine how this rule could effect a student who is able to speak another language. It’s important to celebrate different cultures in the classroom so all students can feel included and valued.
ReplyDeleteEmily, thank you for sharing your thoughts! I also was very taken aback when I read that on that list. I have never seen a list of rules that specifically states to only use English in the classroom. I think it will be important for us as future teachers to encourage our students to use their native language because that will also make these students feel more included if they are not being forced to be someone they are not. I also love your good example of rules. They are short and sweet but they are very easy to understand. Great examples and great job!
ReplyDeleteEmily,
ReplyDeleteWow! I did not expect to find "use English in the classroom" as an official classroom rule. Personally, I disagree with this rule for many reasons. But the first is that this does not show respect for the students rights to express themselves and to show respect for their culture. I can see that if the classroom if the teacher's primary language is English and that this is a primary speaking English classroom, then asking students to speak English might be something to suggest in the classroom if it is an issue, but it should not be a rule. I like the simplicity of the second set of rules. I like that they are positive and that they seem reasonable for students to follow. I think that this list would be great to include in a classroom as a baseline, but I think that I would also want to encourage students to think of some more rules, in order to encourage ownership and responsibility in the classroom.
Emily, at the risk of just repeating what others said, I am glad you came across this list. Amazingly, the "only speak English" shows up on a number of rule lists. It is something I always hope my students will find when you do this assignment because I do want you to be "shocked." Hopefully, it will help you and all of us to grow in our understanding of the power of our words - for good or bad. And therefore, how important it is to craft our rules with great care.
ReplyDelete