MGMT Blog #5
This course was both practical, and helpful overall. I am so thankful to have experienced great instruction surrounding such a complex topic; classroom management. Throughout the quarter I have seen a lot of my ideas shift from more authoritative and assertive (even though I would not have labeled it as that prior to this class) to more logical, natural, and student centered.
To begin with, I have learned that teaching students how to make responsible decisions, rather than making those decisions for them, is one of the best ways to extend and build mutual trust. I asked a question about whether or not to have a device free classroom during Online Class Day 3, and Gus gave me a quote that was life changing. Additionally, I was able to learn more about the difference between natural, logical, and assertive consequences. This was incredibly beneficial to me, as now I can evaluate myself when in the corrective phase. Last, I learned that I truly want to value my students in a way that promotes the preventative and the supportive phase as much as possible. The corrective phase will be both less frequent, and less adversive, if I can accomplish prioritizing those things.
As we wrap up the quarter, I still find myself struggling to decide what to do if a school that I work at relies on a discipline system that I disagree with. My own elementary school growing up had a discipline system that every classroom used. I am not confident how I will challenge this or alter a system of this sort if I end up in that situation.
Thank you for a wonderful quarter Gus!
Emily,
ReplyDeleteI have also seen my ideas shift about how to view classroom management. I also had thought of it as being more authoritative and assertive, but I am glad to learn that there are more effective ways that are more logical, natural and assertive. I am glad of this because, this way of thinking fits better with my personality better, as I was afraid, prior to this class that I wouldn't have what it takes to be "mean" enough for my students. I also am not sure what to do when a school relies on a discipline that I disagree with. I would be interested in hearing an answer to this. Great post!